Schooling in Zabbar possibly dates back to the late 18th century. The first regular school opened in 1852, in a house on the corner between Sanctuary Street and Main Street.
The present school dates back to 1902. Land was purchased from the Teresian Community in Cospicua and architect Giuseppe Pace was commissioned to design the new school. Building work begun in 1905 and the school was inaugurated in 1908. Originally the school had two floors. It was divided in two separate sections for boys and girls. The original signs “Boys School” and “Girls School” can still be seen high up on the entrance doors.
Immediately after the end of the Second World War, a third storey was built to accommodate the ever increasing number of students. Over the years the school was refurbished to accommodate the changing needs of students and to reflect modern educational practices but to date, it still retains an imposing presence at the very heart of Zabbar.